16th century Market House

The 16th century Market House, Ross-on-Wye, focal point of the riverside town

One of the oldest buildings in Ross-on-Wye, the Market House, was built between 1650 and 1654 replacing the older, probably wooden Booth Hall. It has its origins in the 12th century when King Stephen granted Ross the right to hold a market in the area which stimulated the economy and encouraged trade.

On the second floor, the Market House now houses Made In Ross,  high-quality arts and crafts made by local people. There is a wide range of affordable items ranging from cards to large paintings, with much more in between such as wooden pieces, mosaics, knitted items, jewellery and of course pottery. Everyone is welcome to come in and have a browse. The Market House is now open from 10am to 4pm every day of the week.

Markets

As befits an ancient market town, twice-weekly markets are held in and around the Market House where local traders come to sell their goods and produce. The markets are very popular and well attended by shoppers attracted by the wide variety of items on sale.